Welcome! Many of the blog posts we’ve read in the last few days about our Family Wipes (which are actually not a new product – they’ve been available for over 4 years) have been curious about the idea of family wipes. Comments have been varied – from curiousity to support to derision. One guy called to tell me to “shove it up my a**.” That was touching, really. But, really, reusable wipes are NOT for everyone. That’s true. If they’re not something you want to use, then don’t. That’s the beauty of America. Nobody’s forcing you into it. And, though some commentors have said that they’ll be making this mandatory very soon, well, I seriously doubt it. There are many reasons that people use reusable wipes.
- They prefer to wipe with a moist cloth and don’t like the chemicals and expense inherent in commercial moist cloths.
- They like getting their hineys completely clean.
- They use them on their kids because it makes cleaning easier (I’m talking pre-able-to-wipe-their-own-bottoms kids).
- They need something for after-bidet drying.
- They want to save money and not buying TP (expensive when you think about it) saves just a bit more.
- They don’t want to waste resources like trees.
There seem to be a few myths sticking around out there and I thought I’d address some of them here.
- Extreme Environmentalists like Wallypop are insane. Using family wipes will NOT save the environment. That’s true. I don’t think they will save the environment, if indeed the environment needs to be saved. Would recycled TP be a better choice environmentally? I don’t know, maybe. Is it expensive? Yes. I hear it’s not very soft, either. . PS, we’re not environmentalists. Really.
- Reusable toilet wipes use resources like water, not to mention detergent and bleach. yes and no. True, they need to be washed. Many families who use cloth wipes already have kids in cloth diapers, and so the wipes just get washed with the diapers, and do not represent an extra load of laundry.
- They’re disgusting and unsanitary. Not true, but if the idea grosses you out, then obviously it’s not a product for you.
- Cloth diapers and wipes for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers is fine, but cloth wipes for adults is gross because adult poop is so much grosser than kid poop. News flash: Once they’re eating solid foods, kid poop is the same as adult poop. There’s no difference.
- I could see that for Pee but not for Poop. I would say that the VAST majority of family wipe users use them just for pee.
- They probably stain something awful and stink, too. Nope, on either account. Actually, our most stained wipes are from the baby. (yes, I know the difference – she has different fabric on hers – and hers are all stained that telltale yellow of a breastfed baby.) And they don’t stink. I mean, I guess I don’t know how much poop the rest of the world smears on their bum when using the toilet, maybe our family is genetically gifted with having excrement that tends to follow gravity straight down into the toilet… does everyone else’s waste wander around their cheeks a bit before dropping?? Our wipes, when used for poop, don’t generally have a whole lot of poop on them. They are tossed into a step-lid garbage can. No odor. The diapers smell worse, and you can only smell THOSE when you have the lid open.
- People who use cloth wipes should not shake hands with anyone else. This one, I’ll admit, has me mystified. The assumption must be that everyone who uses paper to wipe washes their hands, and everyone who uses cloth does not? Have you ever used a public restroom and noticed the high numbers of people who do not wash afterwards? NONE of those people just used cloth. I would guess that hand-washing rates are roughly the same between cloth and paper users.
- I would never wipe my butt with something that had bunnies on it. Yes, those are meant for kids, which is why it’s called the Juvenile variety pack.
- Do they have to train their guests on how to wipe with this stuff? No. To my knowledge, most people have both cloth wipes and the regular stuff in their bathrooms.
So I hope that answers some questions, some myths. Welcome to Wallypop. Take a look around – we offer a LOT more than just bum wipes!