Jedi Knight Costume
First, this is an outfit to be worn to a dance, and to be made cheaply and with materials I could get ahold of easily. As Randy kept telling me as I was creating it, “you know, I’m not a real Jedi, right?” Yes, yes. And so I let go of my urges to be 100% accurate, and went for “accurate enough.” (Plus, actual Jedi don’t have quite the girth that my Jedi does.)
Modifications I made:
- The actual Jedi inner tunic seems to have more form-fitted sleeves. As I was using cotton that was nonstretchy, but I needed a lot of ease of movement, I went with wider sleeves.
- Actual Jedi pants seem to be more form-fitting, as well, but we went with baggy for a few reasons. 1) dancing. 2) my husband’s, uh, girth..
- The actual Jedi robe doesn’t have as many seams as mine does. Because I was about a yard short on fabric, I had to have shoulder seams and also a seam down the middle of the hood.
I used weaver’s cloth in a cream color for the inner tunic and pants, starting with a Karate uniform pattern and making a few modifications. I used weaver’s cloth in a tan color for the outer tunic, starting with Simplicity 5840 and making a few modifications (including a tuck at the shoulder). The tabbards and obi I made just from strips of fabric, about 7 inches wide. The robe took the longest, which is strange since it’s the simplest of all the pieces. I spent at least 4 hours staring at the fabric and trying to work out how to cut it. The robe is made from a really nice 100% wool suiting from Jo-Ann. It’s really nice and heavy.
I will be continuing to improve this costume as I have time. I actually plan to wait until DH has lost some weight, to help the whole thing hang better. Then I will re-do the inner tunic, to make it from some sort of T-shirt material, to allow the sleeves to bunch up and be more form-fitting at the wrist. I will be making a better belt, and devising some sort of way for the belt, obi, and tabbards to stay in place better.
These websites were very useful to me while working on this costume: